Tracy N Lee

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Struggling to do what JESUS would do?


Do you remember the phrase “What would Jesus Do?”   Of course you do!  It’s a phrase that most people are familiar with.  I remember it being something very common during my high school years.  Whether you have asked the question, been asked by someone, or recall the various WWJD bracelets, t-shirts, stickers, or hats this phrase is something that many have seen and/or used.  But WHY?  If you recall, all this paraphernalia was everywhere.  My thoughts as I sit here reminiscing is (1) Does this question have significance for the way we should live?  (2) Or was it used as a way to make a profit from the Christian community?  I won’t go into detail about how I really believe that this was used as a money making business, but I think it’s interesting, but that’s a whole different blog. However, I do want to take a look at how we sometimes struggle to do what Jesus would do. 

So I’m not sure where the whole phenomenon began, but as I think back one thing that is clear is that it was suppose to be a reminder of how Jesus would deal with specific things and situations that occurred in our daily lives.  You’ve heard the phrase. You may have even seen it on a billboard: WWJD – “What Would Jesus Do”.  So if we see a person in need or we have a conflict situation with a friend, family member, or co-worker we should seek to question ourselves on the way in which our heavenly Father would handle that specific situation. We should ask ourselves what would Jesus do in this situation?  I think it’s a great way to think yet, I know exactly how I would handle this situation.  I’ve often told my colleagues on various occasions that “Ms. Lee is about to leave take heed because Tracy Niccole is about to come out”.   In all seriousness, Tracy Niccole does not filter…She’s blunt, brutally honest, and not very nice. Now there are different stages of her depending on the situation, but I have to kill her daily.  It may sound crazy, but daily I’m faced (many of us) with struggles and difficulties and temptations that require me to kill the flesh.  So, this reminder of WWJD is great advice.  Jesus is our role model…and it is HE that we should emulate.  We have to get away from who we used to be.  I’ve heard other people say, “Girl, if I wasn’t saved” or “She lucky I’m saved”.  It’s funny, but we have to remember that we’re not that person anymore.  That person is dead. 

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, and look, new things have come.

Do you struggle to do what Jesus would do??

How many of us acknowledge what Jesus would do…but then don’t do it? It’s a BIG reason why non-Christians look at Christians and label us hypocrites.  Whatever we say we must do.  We can’t simply say one thing (which is you just talking) and then not do it.  To be a true disciple of Jesus Christ, we must take action. Until we do this consistently, outsiders will continue to look at us as all talk, and no action.

What does it mean to "struggle" with something?

I have had the opportunity to speak with several men who say they have struggle with lust.   In my opinion, when they say they struggle with lust I believe that they mean that the try to fight against it, but the temptation gives in and they end up giving in to their lusts.  These same men will say that they are trying not to sin.  Well, how are you trying?  Are you watching the company that you keep?  Are you avoiding television shows that promote lust and a desire for sex?  Are you foregoing music with sexual lyrics?  How are you showing God that you are trying to fight against it?  If we keep doing what we’ve always done we’ll always get the same results.  SO what are you doing differently?  How has your mind set been changed?  Can they actually say that they are trying to overcome lust? Will God believe them when they say that they tried?

I’m not saying that a Christian will not have struggles with temptation. I’m simply saying that when a Christian is tempted, he/she must love God more than the temptation.

Luke 13:24-27

Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because I tell you, many will try to enter and won’t be able once the homeowner gets up and shuts the door. Then you will stand outside and knock on the door, saying, ‘Lord, open up for us!’ He will answer you, ‘I don’t know you or where you’re from.’ Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets!’ But He will say, ‘I tell you, I don’t know you or where you’re from. Get away from Me, all you workers of unrighteousness!’”

We are promised that no temptation will be too difficult for us because God will make a way for us to stand up under every temptation.

1 Corinthians 10:13

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to humanity. God is faithful and He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation He will also provide a way of escape so that you are able to bear it.

A Christian is someone who struggles against sin and then gains the victory through Christ who gives him strength. Christians do struggle with sin...and then get the victory through faith.  Rather than asking the question "What Would Jesus Do?," a better question for most people to ask themselves would be: "What Would Jesus Have ME Do?".

 Be blessed,
~ Tracy                                                 

Here's Pinky Promise STL!! Wonderful group of women that I feel priviledged to have met that simply love Jesus and have a desire to know more of Him. Check out Heather Lindsey's blog for more info about the group.   

1 comment: